THE WAY I SEE IT...

This blog is dedicated to random nonsense: product reviews (i'm always trying something), weight loss attempts, general observations, movies, books, pictures, thoughts, feelings, and struggles that make up this extraordinarily ordinary life.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Weight Loss Journey: Something that finally works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sooo, i've lost 42 lbs, b*tcheeeeeeees! bet you didn't see that coming. I mean, it's been 9 months so 42 lbs isn't a massive amount of weight to lose in that span of time. regardless, i'm so f'in proud of myself for sticking with it. the most MAGNIFICENT part about this particular weight loss attempt is i discovered what works for me- FINALLY!!! and it only took 3 million tries. ;-) when i initially started trying to lose weight back in like 1998- i did weight watchers. and then i tried weight watchers again...and then again...and again. i tried weight watchers more times than i can count. so many times, in fact, that i don't remember how many times. it worked for a while, but never really stuck. I did that on and off for about 12 years and then got pregnant and had a baby in 2010/2011. The beginning of this year I tried WW again, as you may already know, but they changed the points system and I got frustrated like 2 weeks in. Let's be honest though- it probably wouldn't have worked anyway. So, I switched over to the Lose It website where instead of counting points- you count calories. That worked for a few month, but it didn't really stick with that either. I eventually gave up and during the period of eating like a pig and feeling sorry for myself- I thought about what was keeping me from succeeding. Then I noticed the pattern. The answer as to why I continued to fail at these programs had come to me in the form of a giant lightbulb atop my giant head. And it's so simple.

I get lazy and stop counting.

I decided that I didn't want to do any counting or adding or subtracing of ANY numbers when it came to the food I put in my mouth. I did some reasearch and decided to stay away from white flour and sugar. Basically, I was going to allow myself to eat proteins, vegetables, and fruits...with moderate amounts of whole grain bread, pasta, and brown rice in between. For the most part- clean foods. Unproccessed healthy food. Oh, and LOOOOOOOOTS of water!! And guess what people?? I lost weight the first week and kept losing weight every week after that. Here's a great example of how finding something that works for you makes all the difference. I started at 240 in January and fluctuated up and down til June. I lost 15 lbs in 6 months and was miserable and consumed by my weight the ENTIRE time. The "clean eating" epiphany hit me the last week of June at 225. And I can happily say that today I weigh in at 197. That's a whopping 27 lbs in 3 1/2 months.....without even trying that hard!!!!!! The first week was a little bit of a struggle cause I guess my body was going through white carb and sugar withdraw, but by the second week- I had found my niche'. The only annoying part about it is that you gotta be prepared. You need to go grocery shopping and plan you meals for the week cause if you get hungry and you don't have any healthy options- you're gonna head over to the vending machine and trust me- there's nothing healthy in there. Other than that- it was soooooooooooo easy to follow. I know exactly what i can eat- don't have to count ANYTHING and I just feel so content. I don't feel like I'm deprived or struggling to keep the weight off or worried about falling off the wagon. I'm finally happy because instead of feeling like this is a diet- I feel like I found the new healthy lifestyle change that's actually gonna stick with me for life. I have my off days. I'm no saint, but let's face it- life is full of holiday parties and happy hours and events where eating badly is inevitable. But hopping back on the wagon has never been easier for me and for that I am so truly thankful!!! It's been a long road and now I know that I was never a failure- I just hadn't found what works for me. And now I have. Realizing this has been a major milestone for me. My best advice is what works for one person may not work for everyone. So, if something doesn't work- keep on looking for something that does. It'll change your life!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment